- Number of get-out-of-the-way-or-be-a-pancake honks per ten minutes of walking on a Haitian road: 10
- Average # of tablespoons of peanut butter I eat a day: 4 -5 big ones. It’s REALLY good here!
- Number of times I wash my hair per week: ‘bout 2 (I still brush and floss teeth regularly!)
- Average age to start sending kid to school: probably about 3, or the Haitians are just stunted and TINY! (If you can afford school, send ‘em as soon as possible before $ runs out cause it’s not free in
- Average cost for box of imported healthy bran cereal: 6 + US dollars
- Cost for a mug of coffee off the street: 14 cents
- Cost for 1 pint olive oil: $10
- Cost for a gallon of gas: about $6
- Cost for roughly a gallon of milk (imported in BOXES from
- Cost for a bottle of good Argentine red wine: < $4 (yay!!!)
- Number of spray bottles of deet I consume per month: 3/4
- Number of cell phone card vendors per 10 minute walk outside in
- Age I probably resemble when I speak Creole: about 6 by now! And this is how I request technical accounting procedures…nice!
- Cost of a can of black beans (available at most American groceries for 59 cents): $2
- Cost for a bag of uncooked black beans that will make a
- Number of times I have successfully cooked the cheap black beans: 0/2
(The first bean bake fiasco almost resulted in burning down my apartment in
Yes, I did used to work at Census Bureau, source of all things statistical. Can you tell?!